New name for Raiding

I do think Raiding is the wrong term but I worry with the ‘Support’ button already being different, if we reinvent the week for Raiding too, people arent going to be able to just come and use Glimesh and find all the features easily…

2 Likes

Maybe I put too much faith in people’s intelligence lol. I know when I join a new platform / service / program / app, etc. I don’t expect everything to be the same as it was on some other platform. To me it’s like saying I expect Macs to have all the same terminology as Windows PCs because that’s what I used before.

But I get it because we’re trying to make it as simple as possible to have people transition without thinking… I just don’t like it haha

1 Like

And you shouldn’t. Each site/service/etc. has their own verbage. Let’s take microblogging, for example:
Twitter: tweet
FB: post
Identi.ca: post, later pump, then post again (hell, they can’t even standardize)
Google Buzz (when it existed): buzzes
Google Wave/Apache Wave: waves

And that just covers the ones I can think about immediately. No idea what Parler, MeWe, Friendster, etc. call theirs. Different services, different names.

So, why should Glimesh be raiding (which was originally Twitch, now genericized)? People are going to pretty much figure out that a Glimvasion (or whatever we ultimately call it) is going to be the local raid term.

1 Like

This might be naive but do we need to name it? I mean I’m pretty sure most platforms didn’t at first or at all. A raid was simply a “Host” at the end of the stream with a large number of viewers and then the community took to calling it a “Raid”. I think the greater community will decide what to call it regardless of what it’s labeled internally.

2 Likes

I do prefer the term ‘Host’ actually :slight_smile:

I’m a fan of keeping it nice a generic/neutral with hosting etc and then the community can call it whatever they like.

Different creators can call it different things too.

“Okay guys I am wrapping up, let’s go raid this person”

Vs

“That’s all from me, let’s go and glimvade my good friend over here”

Etc

3 Likes

Problem is, Hosting isn’t the same thing as Raiding. You can Host someone without Raiding. For example, here’s Twitch’s explanation on it. Twitch page on Hosting

What about calling it a Referral?

I like the idea of “Dropping in”

“Manne dropped in with 6 guests”

Or alternatively, let people choose their raid names.

3 Likes

A unique name for each person would be interesting for sure!

1 Like

Dropping in is my favorite one I’ve heard so far tbh it sounds so cute.

2 Likes

what about calling it a “Rally”?

even before hate raids were a thing raiding was always a playful use of a term for an aggressive/violent invasive act (by its classic/literal definition). For this reason I don’t think “glimvading” is a much better alternative.

In my mind, a rally (by its classic/literal definition) is more of a positive event, to get people excited about a cause; It’s about people coming together, and creating hype. it is also close enough to the original term that people can figure out what it means without an explanation. people also often use a hashtag/phrase when raiding, which could be a “rally cry”

1 Like

Rally is cool and I love the idea of it being a rally cry too.

Another one I saw during GCTalks, I unfortunately can’t remember who suggested it now but it was “spotlighting” which is also nice.

There are so many amazing sounding options out there, its hard to choose one I like most!

OOoooo Rally is nice! I like that. I feel Glimvasion is pretty cool it is a bit of a mouthful to say in normal conversation and also does sound a little aggressive. Rally seems a much more positive feeling and also easier to say!

“rally” makes me think too much of American politics where everyone is always holding a rally to do some …“stuff” but it is still better than “raid” or anything that seems like “invasion” imo.

1 Like

I’ll take the credit for this on lol

That’s EXACTLY my first thoughts about the term “rally” it honestly makes me kinda cringe. I don’t want any sort of potential association with politics personally. There’s too much drama surrounding politics and it would suck if people ended up utilizing the term for political based content on here (not that there’s anything wrong with political channels and educational channels about politics). I also know the term isn’t intended to be political, but the past couple years here in the US its turned into one.

Dropping in/dropping by still stands as my favorite one so far. I just imagine a bunch of parachuting glimdrops (aka viewers) falling into someone else’s community :pleading_face: also its just VERY on brand lol. Kinda gives Fortnite vibes too.

IMO it just rolls off the tongue very easily too. For example: “Alright guys, lets go drop by our friend _____'s stream and show them some love” or “Thanks for dropping by ______ with your community! Hope you had a great stream!”

There’s also added bonus points because I’m a sucker for puns ngl lol

2 Likes

Do we get $50 in Glimbucks if we refer three people?

Because to me, that term smacks of pure marketing smarminess. I know you likely didn’t think of that this way, but I’ve seen way too many emails that do that and I can’t be the only one. My snarky comment above is almost word for word taken from one of those types of mails.

And as for rally, I’m in agreement - reminds me way too much of American politics as of late.

I’m behind Glimvasion, personally.

yea, I can definitely understand the word association for americans with the word rally. “referral” I think is just not an accurate description - typically it means you get paid/compensated for sending people their way. I like the sound of “dropping in” though

2 Likes

“dropping in” fits well with the idea of Glimdrops too.

*also I envision little glimdrops with parachutes dropping into streams. Definitely think its a neat fit for sure :slight_smile:

4 Likes