Emote system - Ideas, suggestions and discussion

We have had several suggestions in the past around the emote system. I want to start a discussion around what features the emote system (specifically how you go about uploading/adding them) we could integrate.

Some of the most common suggestions thus far are:

• More formats, such as PNG to make it easier for creators who are transitioning over to keep their current emotes.
  • Automatic resizer tool if an emote size is different than our current base.
  • Different emote ‘tiers’, such as channel specific ones that are only used by people in that channel, site wide emotes, animated emotes, etc. How many of each is a good balance?
2 Likes

More formats, such as PNG to make it easier for creators who are transitioning over to keep their current emotes.

I’m for this; I know Lottie has been brought up more than a few times and I think that would be easier to implement than APNG, which was also proposed.

Automatic resizer tool if an emote size is different than our current base.

As long as people are made aware that “resizing =! clarity”. You know as well as I do that far too many people don’t get that.

Different emote ‘tiers’, such as channel specific ones that are only used by people in that channel, site wide emotes, animated emotes, etc. How many of each is a good balance?

Not really sure on this one. I don’t feel that Twitch implements it very well and I’m not sure how to go with this. I’ll defer to others on it, but I just don’t think a straight copypasta of Twitch’s implementation would work for us.

1 Like

I agree with Shinzakura on pretty much everything. I’m not sure if a resizing tool should be a priority. I don’t steam currently but used to on twitch. If the emote size format changed for whatever reason and all my emotes suddenly looked slightly blurry I’d be annoyed but maybe not annoyed enough to figure out why. If all my emotes just stopped working then I’d know exactly why.

I dislike the idea of tiered emotes, even on twitch. It’s basically a system that tells the few people that do sub “Hey, we know you’re a sub but it’d be a lot cooler if you gave us even more money.” If you do decide on doing tiered emotes I’d rather see it done later when there are more people subbing and it becomes an actual problem of people needing small incentives to give more. Frankly with the user base the platform has so far if I saw tiered emotes I’d balk at it a bit.

One issue I saw on twitch a lot was there were a lot of repeated sentiments in emotes from different channels. At one time I had like 5 emotes that were basically copy pastas of PepeHands. This is fine and cool, but like it was hard to sort through them all because I had to remember the name to find them or scroll through a tiny menu. It got old quick. What I think would be cool is a tag system where emotes can have a tag column in the db. That way they can be displayed by what emotion the emote is supposed to convey. The user won’t need to remember the exact name and can just remember “Oh, right, this is a sad emote. Let me see all my sad emotes”. idk how ya’ll like the idea but personally it’d help my usability when I’m trying to find emotes so maybe it’d help others too.

2 Likes

I agree, tiered emotes are meh, I’d rather just have a badge for different tiers instead like a shiny pokemon or something xD
Also some streamers that are kinda slimy in a way if a lot of people sub just for emotes they’ll lock the most popular ones behind tiers which is weird to me. Maybe that’s just a personal preference of mine though.

As mentioned above, I don’t feel an automatic resizer tool is necessary. As long as you mention what size an emote should be uploaded as, there are plenty of resources someone can use to resize it if needed. Plus, if you’re going to be using similar sizes to other platforms, like Twitch, most places people purchase their emotes from and/or create themselves, will already be sized appropriately.

I would definitely be in favor of multiple formats., especially if you’re planning on allowing animated emotes like Twitch does now, but it’s a good idea to have in general.

In a different thread, which was about “boosting”, this could come into play for emote purposes. I don’t think there should be a tiered system, and every streamer should have the same access of allowable emote slots, but once they reach their maximum, they could use those “boosts” to unlock extra. For example, if you allow your creators to have 20 emote slots, “boosts” could be used to unlock it to 25, 30 and so on.

As mortal pointed out, a tagging system would also be wonderful. If I could tag my Yamper heart emote I use on Twitch (Tastic2CorgiHeart is the name of it) as “heart” or “love”, it would be so much easier to find. Along that note, if you’re planning on having prefixes like Twitch uses (Tastic2 in my case), could we have it so we can customize it, as long as it’s not already in use? For example, if the system defaults a prefix to “Tastic2”, I could go in and change it to “Tastic”. This would help in in the future if someone were to change their username or need to rebrand their short name.

Just a couple of things here, we already allow animated emotes - they are GIF format on here :slight_smile:

You are able to set your own prefix presently it is not automatically grabbed and should be 5 characters max, then the emote name will be prefix follow by whatever you called it so could be :tastiheart: for example!

I would recommend moving the idea about boosting over to that thread so it remains inkeeping to the theme over there :slight_smile: